Monday, March 28, 2011

First trip out of Spain, First trip solo

....and everything went smoothly! Apparently I can only travel by myself in the future…..no offense Siobhan and Alexa ;)

This particular trip (to Florence, Italy to visit Marisa) was extremely last minute.  I bought my plane ticket on Tuesday, March 15th and I flew out on Thursday, March 17th.  As there was only one direct flight from Madrid to Florence, it was absolutely necessary that I miss both of my classes on Thursday....what a shame :P

The trip came at the perfect time as I was starting to feel a little homesick, the number of weeks before my family was to arrive in Spain seeming daunting.  Fortunately not only was I able to visit with Marisa, but because she was on spring break Mr. and Mrs. Martino were also in Florence! In addition, Mrs. Martino’s cousin, her cousin’s daughter as well as two friends came and spent time with us on Friday and Saturday.  Oh and Marisa’s brother Dom came in on Saturday! It was so nice to see so many familiar faces and because Marisa and I spent most of our time with Mr. and Mrs. Martino it was very stress free.  Mr. Martino is super organized and great with a map…my favorite part was that at the beginning of the day he already had reservations for dinner!

I really enjoyed getting to see Mrs. Martino in her element.  I was fascinated watching her speak fluent Italian.  I told her that once I am done with school, I am going to move in for a summer so she can teach me Italian….my new life goal is to be trilingual lol.

While each day in Florence was incredible, I also really loved the one-on-one time Marisa and I got every night before bed.  It was great to be able to lounge around Marisa’s apartment (which is AWESOME btw) drinking tea, chit-chatting about our experiences abroad and life in general, as well watching the episodes of Glee that we have missed this season.

So appreciative that I was able to make the trip to Florence.  Marisa and I had thrown the idea around over Christmas break, but neither one of us was totally positive it would come to fruition.

My mini-vacation as I like to call it lol was spent not only with great company, but also with fabulous sights, even better food and great wine!




Four views of the Duomo, a cathedral 

Basilica Di Santa Croce, another cathedral
Marisa and I on the Pointe Vecchio, Florence's famous shop-covered bridge


Some awesome street art!




Five shots from the top of the Piazzale Michelangelo
<3

Martino Family!



Just some fun shots from my last dinner in Italy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment