Saturday, February 12, 2011

Culturally Confused...

So I am currently sitting with Siobhan in a modern little place called Café & Té, where we are you guessed it drinking coffee and munching on double chocolate chip muffins.  Based on the menu, the muffin looked very appealing and I was anxious to have a taste of what I thought would be some homemade goodness. I was wrong....out with the coffee comes a prepackaged Otis Spunkmeyer muffin. So not exactly what I was anticipating, but pretty delicious nonetheless.  However, the situation has become increasingly awkward.  Since taking our seats, I have listened to the Black Eyed Peas, the "Friends" theme song, among many other American radio tunes.  If this was the first time I had heard some music from home while here in Spain, I probably would have been excited...happy to have a little piece of home.  However, since arriving in Spain, American music is pretty much all I have heard and it is starting to grate on my nerves.  Every discoteca and many of the stores play Lady Gaga and Beyonce, Katy Perry and Usher.  Like seriously?!

Siobhan and I have kind of laid low this week, mostly because I came down with a bad cold last weekend and didn't much feel like venturing out at night.  Feeling much much better now though..thanks to the Spanish cough medicine I picked up at the Farmacia, which by the way tastes 600 times better than Robitussin).


Have no fear though...we were not complete hermits.  On Wednesday we went out with just the girls for a little vino.  


We also went out exploring again on Friday, taking plenty of photos to share with you all (I will be posting them to Facebook shortly), and last night we watched a terrible scary movie called "Darnkess" with our host parents.  All in all not a bad week :) Its supposed to rain for the next few days starting tomorrow, so Siobhan and I are actively researching some activities to keep us entertained lol.

We are happy to announce that we have officially booked our tickets for Valencia and cannot wait to see everyone in just 18 days! So much is happening that it is difficult to include/remember everything here on the blog.  I will do my best to keep you all updated on the good and the bad....and the hilarious of course ;) Siobhan and I have had some good laughs in the past 2 weeks...one of my favorites has to be seeing a women walk by us on the street carrying her puppy in basically a Baby Bjorn.  The dog was strapped to her chest with its little feet sticking straight out in front.  As not to be the stereotypically rude Americans, we resisted the urge to take a picture...Sorry guys :(

Love to all,
Tayler

2 comments:

  1. Im glad you are feeling better and your slowly becoming more and more comfortaqble in your surroundings...rain is better than sub-zero and snow!...just sayin'
    love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. T - Looks like you are settling in nicely. Keep track of the wines you are drinking so you can teach me what is good and bad from Spain.

    Love Ya,

    Uncle Rich

    ReplyDelete